Saturday, December 21, 2013

Christmas Crack

I've been baking today.  Busy, busy, busy.
I had a very ambitious schedule for today, fudge, oatmeal, chocolate chip, lazy cookie bars, peanut butter fudge bars, butter cookies, Christmas crack and banana bread.

I got most of it done.

 Lazy cookie bars, made with box cake mix!
Chocolate chip, a standard!   
Fudge brownies

Butter cookies.  Also made with box cake mix and cream cheese!  They are soft and very rich and buttery and covered with powdered sugar.... yum

PB fudge bars.  Decadent! 

And last but not least, Christmas Crack!
Prior to being broken up...
After being broken up.


Now I know what you are saying, "What the heck is Christmas Crack?!!"
I am here to tell you that it is good and easy to make.  If I can do it, you can do it!
You will  need:
1 cup unsalted butter - the good stuff no substituting margarine!
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar - I use light brown sugar
2 cups (at least) semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips, or any type of chocolate you want  On one half of mine I used mint chocolate!
Approximately 40 saltine crackers... yep crackers.

O.K. first things first.  Get a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with sides.
Line it with parchment or aluminum foil.  Spray the parchment or foil with non stick cooking spray.
Next - lay the saltines flat on the cookie sheet on top of the parchment or foil. Make sure the crackers touch one another.  One layer only.
On the stove in a small saucepan:  Melt butter and sugar until a boil is reached - stir, stir, stir constantly!  Once it is boiling turn down to medium/low and continue to stir for 3-5 minutes until the sugar is melted and the toffee begins to thicken.
Pour the hot toffee over the crackers!  Spread it out to coat all the crackers evenly.
Bake in the oven - 350 for 8-10 minutes or until the toffee begins to bubble in the oven.
Remove from the oven.  Let it sit for 1-2 minutes then sprinkle the chocolate over the top.  As the chocolate begins to melt spread it out evenly over the toffee/cracker mixture.
You can add nuts or sprinkles or candy or anything you want at this point!
Let cool completely.  I covered mine and put it in the garage on a shelf since it has been so cold here.  Once cold, break it up into pieces and eat it up!  This is seriously good!

Some things to note.  I don't know why the crackers are the bottom layer because the hot toffee seeps through the holes and most of it ends up on the bottom and the crackers for the most part end up being the middle layer.
I doubled my toffee portion.  My cookie sheet is really big so I also used more than 40 crackers, 56 I think was the final number.
I used different kinds of chocolate chips.  I did mint chocolate chips on the left, milk chocolate chips in the middle and semi-sweet with pecans on the right.
  I also had to put mine back in the oven to get the chips to melt this time.  For whatever reason they just didn't want to melt on top of the hot toffee.  So I put the whole thing back in the oven for 2 minutes on 350.
I ask you what is better than salt, chocolate and toffee!?  Not much, well peanut butter, but that is another post!

  




No comments:

Post a Comment