Sunday, December 1, 2013

Chalkboard door

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!  Mine was very nice, lots of family and friends.  Off course I ate too much but such is life.
Can you believe it is December already!?  Where did the year go?  I was telling my husband, why is it that January, February, March and April seem to go so slow yet September, October, November and December just seem to fly by?!  I guess as we get older the years go quicker.  Heck just yesterday I was 16 and learning how to drive!
Today I am writing from the comfort of my bed.  I have caught the family cold that my husband so easily shared.
Last week I was thinking that I'd really like to have a chalkboard in my kitchen so I can write things down, groceries, work schedules, play schedules as well as other things.  I went out and bought some chalkboard paint, $10.00 for a quart at Home Depot.  I got black but was really surprised that this paint comes in just about every color you can imagine.  I bought Rustoleum Chalkboard paint.  Some things to know about this paint.  1 - it goes on better with a roller or a sponge.  2 - make sure you shake it up really well.  3 - it is thin and splatters a bit.
Originally I thought to buy a full length mirror from a store and paint the mirror part with the chalkboard paint and hang the mirror in the middle of the door.  Then in the middle of the night I woke up with the thought in my head to just paint the entire door to the garage in chalkboard paint.  I mean, why spend the money on a mirror?  
I was really excited at this little realization.  
The paint is pretty easy to work with and the quart did the entire door - 4 coats and a small dollar store tray and I've still got paint left over!  
So this is what the door started out as - ugly white door with the old brown coming through.  Nothing to get excited about.
AND this is what it ended up looking like in the end.  As you can see my kids have had a lot of fun with the door.  

It looks sooo different doesn't it.  I love it.  Have you tried chalkboard paint yet?  It is all the rage, there is chalkboard contact and even note paper!  Let me know if you've tried chalkboard paint and how it turned out.  


No comments:

Post a Comment