Monday, March 3, 2014

Pork in the crock pot

I know that pork is something that not everyone loves but me, I love the 'divine swine'. 

I am always looking for easier ways to do things and because of this I cook in the crock pot quite often.  I can put it on in the morning and it cooks all day so when I come home from work I don't have to stand and cook for another hour. 

Nothing is worse for me than when I get home and my family says, "what's for dinner?"  I really just want to say, "I don't know you have all been home for hours, what did you make?"  But I don't, I just do the, "well what do you want?" and herein lies the crux - no one ever knows what they want to eat but they know what they don't!  So starts the game of me naming off some things and I get faces or the, "Nah," or "NO!" or better yet, "YUCK!"

Cooking in the crock pot eliminates all of this pain and frustration.  When I come home all I have to do is make a side dish or steam some veggies and or make a salad and we are eating!  It is a beautiful thing. 

I like this recipe because it is simple. 
You will need the following:

  • Crock pot
  • Pork - I bought a shoulder but you can get a butt.  The loin wouldn't be the best for this recipe.
  • A liter of brown colored soda - I bought Diet Pepsi but you can use Coke.  You also don't have to use diet, regular will do just fine.  DO NOT use a flavored brown soda like cherry coke. 
  • Lawry's season all salt
  • A crock pot bag or non stick spray
  • Barbeque sauce - I used Sweet Baby Ray - this is an optional ingredient
THAT IS IT! 

Spray your crock pot or place your liner inside.

Place your pork in the crock pot and cover it with Lawry's season all salt.  REALLY cover it, all the sides. 

Pour your brown colored soda over the pork till it almost covers it. 

Put the lid on and set crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.

Walk away

After 6-8 hours (depending on how big your pork piece is - my two took a full 8 hours) remove your pork from the crock pot.  Drain all the juice out of the crock pot and dispose of it.
Here is the optional part - you can now cut it and eat it - it will fall off the bone!  Or you can shred it and cover with barbeque sauce and return it to the crock pot for an additional 30 -45 minutes. 

Sometime I shred the pork, it will shred really easily, and cover it with the barbeque sauce then bake some rolls and make pulled pork sandwiches.  Sometimes, like today, I just cut it and serve it with sides.   A nice chibatta roll, skinny potatoes and corn that I put up last September.  I did put some barbeque sauce over the cut pieces of pork.  It was delicious. 


 Easy is always the best!  I hope you try the pork.  Let me know if you do and how you like it. 
Till Thursday, have a great week.
Victoria




No comments:

Post a Comment