Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Chicken surprise

In a ongoing effort to show you that not only can I cook but I'm inventive, here is a recipe for a main dish with Miracle Whip.  My husband loves this stuff, me not so much.  I find that it just plain tastes weird.  BUT, I really like this dish.  You don't really taste the Miracle Whip. 

I am all about the easy and this is an easy recipe that you can make quickly with just a few ingredients you probably already have in your house.

My husband calls this Chicken surprise though I am not sure why as there is no surprise. 

You will need:
Chicken breast (I use 1 breast for each person)
Spices of your choice - oh here could be the surprise!
Salt & Pepper
Miracle Whip - fully leaded
Some sort of noodle
Veggies of your choice - fresh or frozen is preferable.
Skillet to cook it all in
Pot for the pasta
Knife
Cutting board
Wooden or stir spoon

First up make sure your chicken is de-thawed, otherwise you will need to do this step.  If I forget and need to do this, I'll blanch the chicken in a bath of water and spices. 

  • Cut your chicken into 1 inch thick pieces.
  • Place your skillet on the stove on Med heat.
  • Place the chicken and 1/4 c of miracle whip in the skillet
  • Add your spices.  (This time I used Mrs. Dash Southwestern).  You can use any type of spices you want here, in any amounts you want.  I used 2 tablespoons of Mr. Dash. 
  • Mix well. 
  • Turn to Med/Low and cook till the miracle whip begins to dissolve and the chicken is browned, stirring every now and then, about 4-6 minutes. 
  • In the meantime - cook your noodles - whatever kind you have on hand will suffice.
  • Also take this time to cut up your veggies.  You can use squash, peppers, green beans, edename, peas, corn, brussel spouts, asparagus,  zucchini, basically any kind of veggies you like. 
  • If you are using fresh veggies, make sure you wash them well. If you are using frozen make sure they are free of ice by washing them off. 
  • For this recipe I just used corn. 
  • Once your veggies are cut and rinsed put them in the skillet with another 1/4 to a 1/2 cup of miracle whip.  You will need to judge - the more veggies the more miracle whip you will need to coat everything evenly.  I also take this time to add a bit of salt and pepper.  (I add a pinch of salt and about a teaspoon of pepper.  I like pepper, if you do not just add a pinch).  Cook for another 2-3 minutes or till veggies are cooked to your liking. 
  • Finally add the pasta - once your pasta is finished cooking, per the box directions, drain the water and dump the pasta in the skillet.  Add another 4 tablespoons of miracle whip and a bit more spices, I added 1 tablespoon of Mrs. Dash.  Toss to coat the pasta.
Serve! 

I serve it with corn bread (the hubby's favorite) but any kind of heat and serve roll will do. 

Options - you could substitute rice for the pasta, just cook the rice first.  You could also serve over mashed potatoes (my husbands favorite way to eat this).  You can also top with parmesan or other type of cheese. 

The taste has a zip or tang to it but you don't taste the miracle whip as it acts like an oil in this dish. 

Let me know if you try this. 
Remember to follow me on Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dragonflies-and-Thistles/491393717621010
Just a like or share or comment will keep the updates in your newsfeed. 

Have a great 'hump' day! 
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment