Thursday, January 23, 2014

Butter Cookies

First let me warn you.  Personally, I find these cookies very addictive and could eat them all in one sitting.  You may find yourself in the same situation. 

When I first came across this recipe I thought, 'I won't like these, but they sound easy so I'll make them as gifts.' Yes, that is me, I won't like them but I'll give them out to other people. 
But let me tell you why I thought I wouldn't like these cookies - cream cheese.  I am not a fan, never have been.  I just don't like the taste in any way shape or form.  My family aren't fans either so I figured that there was no way any of them would eat these, unless.... Unless I didn't tell them what was in them till after they tried them. 

So that was my evil plan, make these easy cookies, give them in tins with other cookies as gifts and maybe save a few for the family to try. 

We love them.  They are soft, buttery and great with coffee or tea in the morning, afternoon or for a late night snack. 

Color me surprised! 

Trust me these are easy and when you see the ingredients you'll be shocked. 

Butter cookies

1 box of Duncan Hines butter cake mix
1 stick of butter - melted
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1 package of cream cheese - softened or melted - I used fully leaded plain cream cheese
1 egg

Powdered sugar for rolling and dusting. 

Combine all ingredients and mix well.  (It is best if the cream cheese is really soft or somewhat melted to mix thoroughly)
Chill the dough for at least 2 hours.  (It can be chilled overnight)

Roll the dough into small balls, then roll them in powdered sugar. (You can make the balls as large or small as you want - obviously the smaller the balls, the smaller the cookie and you'll get more out of the recipe).

WARNING
This is a VERY sticky dough.  Even after refrigerated be prepared, it is so moist and sticky that I used powdered sugar on my hands and even then the dough was sticking to me.

Place the balls on a sprayed cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 12 minutes.  The balls do spread a bit so be careful not to place them too close together on the cookie sheet.  After baking remove to a cooling rack. 
Dust with more powdered sugar and enjoy! 


Let me know if you try these and how you liked them.  You don't taste the cream cheese so if you aren't a fan, like me, still give these a try. 
Have a great weekend!
Victoria

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yeah, I think these sound amazing. Throw some icing on those and they'd be heavenly...but I like cream cheese...so some cream cheese frosting sounds perfect to me! :)

    - Brooke -

    ReplyDelete