Monday, September 23, 2013

Puttin up the corn

First let me say that I am not a paid spokesperson.

Have you ever put up corn?  With how cheap corn has been lately, (3 for $1.00 at Kings), I bought a whopping $10.00 worth of corn, that is 30 ears!  Corn is my favorite vegetable and I've been so happy that the Olathe corn was really good this season.

Putting up corn is easy peasy, I mean REALLY easy.  If you can boil water, you can put up corn.  Yep it is that easy.

First, shuck (isn't that a crazy word!?) the corn and clean it well.
2nd - Boil your water.  I put a bit of sugar in mine - 1/4 c
3rd. - Once the water is boiling place the clean ears of corn in the water.  I split mine up cooking them 6 at a time.
4th - Bring the water back to a boil and cook for 4 minutes.
5th - While boiling, fill your clean sink or large pot/bowl full of COLD water.  I used cold water and ice.
6th - After the 4 minutes remove your cooked corn with tongs and place in the cold ice water.
The idea here is to stop the cooking process immediately.  It is called blanching - another interesting word!
Place the cool corn on paper towels.
Repeat till all the corn is cooked and cooled.



Now what to do with all this corn..... 
I bought a Food Saver Sealer system at Sam's for $149.00.  It seals and vacuum packs the item via special bags or makes its own bags, vacuum packs them and seals them.  It is very easy to use, compact and light weight.  You can take the pre-made bags, which look like zip lock bags except they have a small hole and a zipper seal and using the attached plunger vacuum seal the bag.  The unit also comes with a roll that you can make your own bags.  You seal one side, place your item inside the bag then vacuum and seal the other side.  The seal is airtight and keeps your food safely frozen until you use them.  
I chose to cut the kernel's off some of the corn while others I left on the cob.  You can write on the bags what is inside and the date.  Then just place them in the freezer.  DONE!  EASY.  
Have you ever put up corn or another fruit or vegetable?  This is my first try but if others are this easy I will try putting something else up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment