Monday, February 1, 2016

Valentine's Day decor

Before I start today's blog I have some questions - why do we now name winter storms?  Do we think the winter storms feel left out or bad because we normally only name hurricanes?
I don't know that winter storms really feel left out.  I mean they pack their own punch. 
So far we've got 9 inches of snow and it is still snowing.  But... yes this is Colorado and we are use to it, snow that is. 
Here is the view from my front door, icicles hanging down and the UPS man up the street.  The old saying, 'through sleet, snow, rain....' came to mind even when I was taking pictures and he tapped my shoulder and handed me a package! 

I think this week I'm going to be all over the place... so hang with me!
Valentine's Day is next week and I have been crafting like crazy.  Last week I shared 2 heart button crafts that were easy to do.  Link here

I also did a craft I saw on Pintrest - you can find it in my Valentines Day board here
Here is a picture of it.
It was a Pintrest SUCCESS! 
I bought thin wood letters from Hobby Lobby along with a bag of wood shapes and just laid out the word 'Love' in different sizes on the canvas in a heart-shaped pattern.  Then I glued the letters down and painted the entire thing white. 

I also did a really cute and easy craft that I hung outside.
It is a wooden heart that I got on sale at Hobby Lobby for $2.00 and in the same bags of wooden letters I pulled out the X and O and another 'Love'.  I painted the heart black as I thought it would give a good contrast.  I then painted the X and O white and the word 'Love' red.  Then I glued them using hot glue onto the heart. 
I only burned my fingers twice! 

Finally I worked on my front door.  I didn't want the normal wreath and didn't have a lot of money to spend on the door (I had $5.00 and some change in my pocket).  So off to the Target dollar spot I went which is really brave of me because I never EVER leave the dollar spot or dollar store under $10.00!  But I pulled up my big girl pants and went for it!  Truth be told I had been to the Target dollar spot earlier in the week and already spent my normal ten! 

I found these dollar heart shaped things and got a great idea for the front door. 
Easy, peasy let me tell you!  I think it turned out super cute! 


I bought 5 of these and linked them together with white ribbon.  One set I made long and one was short.  I also bought a black one and hung it from the hook on the door hanger then added a simple bow.
I just adjusted where the hearts hung so they hung in a line. 
It is unexpected and I think super cute and only $5.25!!!!


You can see I added last years twig heart to the screen window I bought last fall. 

Back inside I'll also share my mantle.

The heart garland I made last year along with the blue heart box and the large X and O.  This year I added the window I bought last fall and the 2 heart crafts and 2 dollar spot wooden hearts that I painted. 
The other new edition this year is the smaller garland.  I got all the items at the dollar spot.
They are actually all gift tags from the dollar spot and a set of clothespins decorated for Valentines Day. 

Here is a close up of the other button craft I did last week. 


Well that is it.  Dark now here in Colorado and still snowing.  We have 9 inches so far and expecting up to or over a foot before winter storm Kayla is out of here.  But the sun will come out by Wednesday and it is supposed to be 45 by Saturday! 

Next week I'll be back to show you a romantic dinner set up for Valentine's Day. 

Thanks for stopping by.  I appreciate you visiting.  What do you think of my unexpected door décor?  Do you decorate your door or home for Valentine's Day?  I'd love to see your pictures and hear your ideas. 

Victoria


You can always follow me on Pintrest -
https://www.pinterest.com/vicdenniso/

I'm also on Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/Dragonflies-and-Thistles-491393717621010/?ref=hl

Coming soon - Instagram! 
Coming soon - Twitter!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment