Monday, September 28, 2015

Flowers in your home decor anytime any season

Today we are talking about flowers, specifically how to use flowers in your décor.

If you've never heard of Bloom Nation before they are an organization that supports local communities by partnering with independent florists and showcasing their handcrafted arrangements in their Bloom Nation marketplace.

Check out their Pintrest Board for some real inspiration!
https://www.pinterest.com/bloomnation/home-inspiration/

I will be honest, I have a love/hate relationship with flowers.  Some make me sneeze, eyes water and
just make me miserable.  However, I LOVE the smell of lilacs and peonies (luckily these don't make me sneeze!) and I just can't get enough of some sort of plant or flower in my home year round.  Tulips are my hands down favorite flower.  I love the delicate little petals and that they come in so many different colors and shapes.  I also love green plants of all kinds and have several in my home.  I've even got a pine tree and a lemon tree (yes here in Colorado I can grow a lemon tree!).

If you have read my blog before you'll know that I use both faux and real flowers in my everyday decorating.  To me it makes an inviting home.  When I am out and visiting friends or relatives and I feel uncomfortable in the house or don't feel that the house is inviting but instead it is cold and sterile, regardless of the décor, I usually find that there are no plants or flowers about. 

So how do you incorporate flowers into your daily or seasonal décor?  I admit that some seasons lend themselves better to flowers than others but I was up for the Bloom Nation challenge! 

Now Halloween may not seem like the most opportune time to weave flowers into your decorations; I mean what really goes with shrunken heads, black cats, witches, ghosts and skeletons? 

How about this?
Meet my interpretation of Medusa!

Or possibly something like this?
With just a little outside the box thinking you too can come up with flowers for Halloween and maybe even make your décor a little more macabre. 

Let's start with Medusa.
I started with a Styrofoam head and a can of glow in the dark spray paint from the craft store.

WARNING - Styrofoam and spray paint don't play well together. Usually spray paint will eat the Styrofoam so if you want a nice even look don't spray paint use regular paint. Me, I wanted the head to look like concrete so I spray painted away. 
At the craft store I chose flowers that I thought would look like snakes.  I also chose a few striped specialty stems that I used on the Medusa head and on my dinning room table décor.  I also bought a few glow in the dark snakes and several bunches of dark red roses, some of which I glued little skulls in the centers.
I then cut the faux flowers and stuck them into the head.  I kept turning the head as I went, adding the long ones first then filling in with the roses.  I stuck the striped accent stems in and last but not least I added the glow in the dark rubber snakes for extra affect. 
I dressed my coffee table with a dark brown runner then added some black glitter maple leaf stems and other dark colored faux flowers.  I put Medusa right in the middle.

 Here you can see how the spray paint has eaten the Styrofoam.



Now you may be saying that is all well and good but I don't have that kind of time. 
My tips to best incorporate flowers into your Halloween décor are pretty easy.  Think drab, dark and possibly even dead looking.  These could be flowers, bushes, plant or even vegetables such as red cabbage or broccoli. How about tree limbs?  I've got dead tree limbs on my mantle again this year for Halloween.
TIP - For outside think about an urn or planter filled with red cabbage, broccoli and dead tree limbs with several crows attached to the tree limbs or even orange lights wrapped around the tree limbs.
Have you ever taken a tomato cage, turned it upside down and wrapped it in orange lights for Halloween?  It is a very cute effect at night.  For the day you can get some faux garland in dark fall colors or even in orange leaves and wrap it around the tomato cage. 

TIP - Think about the colors you are using in your Halloween décor, orange?  black? silver? blue? white? green? what colors do you have in your home?  Now take those colors and try to find flowers either real of faux that have those colors in them.  If you have a beige and blue house like I do look for dark colored flowers in that pallet.
If you wish to go outside of your current home or Halloween color pallet you can't go wrong with a large bundle of real dark red roses sitting next to a skeleton; so cute!

TIP - A pumpkin flower holder is an easy project that you can even get the kiddos involved in. 
Carve out your pumpkin with the center hole large enough for a can or vase.  Place the container inside the pumpkin, fill it with water and place your flowers in.  You could even carve a face on your pumpkin for an extra Halloween effect. 

Personally I like glitter; the glitterier (is that even a word?) the better!  Anything that has glitter on it I'm usually buying it.  Most of my Halloween décor is silver and black with some orange thrown in. 
I found these beauties at Michael's - 60% off right now. 
TIP - stick a few of these stems in a bouquet of real flowers to give the arrangement a Halloween look. 

I hope I have given you some ideas and inspired you to use flowers in your décor. 
For more ideas see the Bloom Nation Home Inspiration Pintrest board (link at the top of the post) or my Pintrest -
https://www.pinterest.com/vicdenniso/

You can check out some of my past posts to see how I've used flowers in my décor.
Thanksgiving 2013 -
http://dragonfliesandthistles.blogspot.com/2013/11/thanksgiving-decorations.html

Or the wreath I made and hung on my door last year for spring.
http://www.dragonfliesandthistles.blogspot.com/2014/04/spring-wreath.html

Last year I walked you through my Thanksgiving mantle step by step
http://www.dragonfliesandthistles.blogspot.com/2014/11/thanksgiving-mantle-step-by-step.html

Valentines Day
http://www.dragonfliesandthistles.blogspot.com/2015/01/valentines-day-door.html

This year all decorated for fall -
http://www.dragonfliesandthistles.blogspot.com/2015/09/fall-home-tour.html

And lets not forget Christmas!
http://www.dragonfliesandthistles.blogspot.com/2014/12/chrsitmas-mantle.html

I'd love to see how you incorporate flowers into your home everyday and every season! 
I challenge you to use flowers in your Halloween décor this year! 

Thanks so much for stopping by.  I truly appreciate you reading and your support.
Stop by next week when I'll be sharing my Halloween mantle (currently a work in progress but I'll get it there!). 
Until then,
Stay Safe
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment