Monday, November 3, 2014

Donut Muffins

Halloween has come and gone but I love the holiday.  Want to see the best money I've ever spent?
 Who doesn't just love a creepy clown!  Just ask my oldest what happens around Halloween when you break curfew, yep he ends up in your bed! 

Around this time of the year my family requests that I make homemade muffins.  From scratch.  Now I know you think this is something that is time consuming and difficult but trust me, it isn't!  I am all about the easy! 
Donut muffins.  I promise if you make these your family will love them. 

Here is what you will need:
1 large bowl for mixing
1 wire whisk
1 flat spatula
1 ice cream or cookie scoop - you could use a large spoon
2 small bowls - one needs to be microwaveable
1 small spoon
Measuring cup
Measuring spoons
Muffin/cupcake pan
Paper or aluminum cupcake liners - optional
Non stick cooking spray - if you don't use the liners.

This recipe as is makes 9 large muffins.  I did not adjust it for my altitude.  Make it as is wherever you are. 

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking power
1 tsp. salt - you can lower this I don't think it affects the taste. 
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil - I use coconut oil but you can use any kind
3/4 cup milk
1 large egg

For the topping:
1/2 stick of butter melted
1/3 cup of sugar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon

Lets begin!
Preheat your oven to 350.  If you are using cupcake liners, place them in the muffin/cupcake tin. If you aren't make sure you spray your tin well. 

In the large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients, (flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar).

Using your wire whisk, gently mix all the dry ingredients together until they are fully mixed.
FYI - Did you know that if you are ever asked to sift flour in a recipe and you don't have a sifter, you can use the wire whisk instead?  Yep it is true!  The whisk not only combines ingredients but it gently puts some air into your flour as well as fluffs and separates it just like a sifter does.
The next step is to add the wet ingredients to the dry.  Add your oil, milk and egg.
Mix until they are all incorporated and a batter forms.
This batter is pretty thick so don't use the wire whisk like I did, use a spatula. 
Next using the scoop or a large spoon fill your cupcake/muffin tins.  I filled mine full and used a very generous scoop of batter.

As you can see filling the tins full will make 9 muffins.

Bake at 350 for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the muffin.

Let them cool a bit. 
Now lets make the topping.
In the one small bowl and using the microwave, melt your 1/2 stick of butter.
In the other small bowl, combine your 1/3 cup of sugar and your 1 Tbsp. of cinnamon.  You are making cinnamon sugar here.  If you like yours with more of a cinnamon flavor, add more cinnamon. If you like less of a cinnamon taste, then use less. Use your small spoon to mix your sugar/cinnamon together.
I set up a little assembly line. 
First take the muffin from the tin and turning it upside down, dip the top in the melted butter.
Then immediately into the cinnamon sugar.
Be as generous or stingy as you like here.  I always make sure I get the sides that have over flown the top as well.
Do this to all of the muffins.  Server with jelly or butter and some milk. 
Enjoy!  They are really easy to make and taste amazing. 
I hope you try them and like them.

Have a great week. I'll be back next Tuesday sharing some Thanksgiving décor around my house. 
Thanks for stopping by!  I really appreciate you reading. 
Stay safe everyone.
Victoria

You can always follow me on Pintrest -
http://www.pinterest.com/vicdenniso/

Facebook (though I am not very active here) -
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dragonflies-and-Thistles/491393717621010

And directly on the blog -
http://www.dragonfliesandthistles.blogspot.com





1 comment:

  1. Yum! Those look delicious, Victoria, and much easier than making donuts! Thanks so much for sharing at Best of the Nest!

    ReplyDelete