Thursday, November 21, 2013

First Christmas craft of the season

I had promised myself that I wouldn't be one of those bloggers who is already decorated for Christmas before Thanksgiving.  The problem for bloggers is that to help others with decorating and craft ideas you have to be at least a 1/2 season ahead of everyone else.
So I succumbed to bloggerland and completed a Christmas craft before Thanksgiving.

I bought a dollar store wreath, it is made out of floral foam, which is great but messy.  Since the wreath is green I bought wide white mesh ribbon from Hobby Lobby.  The ribbon was originally $6.00 but I got it 1/2 off.


To start take the end of the mesh ribbon and glue it to the wreath form.  Take a straight pin and put it through the mesh where the glue is.  I used craft glue.
Then wrap, wrap, wrap tightly around the wreath and end where you started.  Another bit of glue and a straight pin and you good to go!
For this wreath I decided to use some knitting yarn because I thought it was pretty and would make an interesting wreath.  Famous last words!
Bad news first if you use this stuff, it knots really easy, I mean really easy.  I don't knit or crochet (I'd love to learn though) but I knew enough to make a ball with this stuff.  This is where I went wrong.  I mean it knots really easy and is difficult to work with.
To start, I made a knot in the end of the yarn (once I found it) then I put a straight pin through the knot and pushed it into the wreath. I started where the glue was.
Then I wrapped and wrapped and wrapped.  I used all the yarn.  To end I made another knot in the yarn and put the straight pin through the knot and pushed it into the wreath.  
For all the trouble with the yarn I think the end product turned out really good. 
To hang it I used the brown ribbon I bought for my Thanksgiving door wreath and took a length and folded the raw ends about 1/2 inch.

The I put the two together and pinned them with a safety pin.  Then flipped it so the pinned part is behind the wreath.


I hung it on our front door inside and out to see how it looks.  I love it.  Simple yet elegant and fuzzy.  What I really like the most about is that it is unconventional, not your ordinary wreath.  


Another thing to remember about the yarn, other than it knots really easy, it is messy.
But pretty

Let the season start!  I'll be back on Monday with another Christmas craft.  Have a great weekend. 
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment