Monday, February 23, 2015

Luck of the Irish

I've always decorated for different holiday's from New Year's to Christmas I decorate for not only the seasons but all the holiday's in between. 

With some of the holiday's the trick is making the décor not look cartoonish or tacky.  Big trick. 

St. Patrick's Day is coming and I am part Irish on my Paternal side so St. Patrick's Day is big for me.  I make my Grandmother's Irish Soda Bread and her Corned Beef and cabbage (I am not a fan of cooked cabbage but my husband loves it).  We always have a big gathering of friends and family and celebrate. 

Contrary to everyone else, I wear blue on St. Patrick's Day not the traditional green.  My Grandmother always said that it is tradition to wear blue, St. Patrick's signature color.  The wearing of the green comes from the Irish who immigrated here remembering the Emerald Isle by wearing green.  In Ireland, St. Patrick's Day is actually a religious holiday and most of the population goes to church then hits the pubs! 

This is a super cute craft and aside from burning my finger with the hot glue it was easy.... EASY! 

Gather your pennies and create this crazy cute craft! 

You will need:
Pennies - I used $2.84 worth of pennies
Letters - 3D letters, I bought at Hobby Lobby (regular price $2.99 each I got them 40% off)
Hot glue gun and glue sticks



Ready for how easy this is.... just glue the pennies to the letters.  I glued to all the surfaces, front, top, sides and inside.  I DID NOT glue pennies to the bottom of the letters.  I did some pennies facing up and some tail side.   

Yep that is it!  I didn't paint the letters or do anything to them before I glued the pennies to them.  The only thing I would caution you on is be careful, a hot glue gun is well HOT!  I burned my finger. 

So super cute! 
It looks great on my mantle for St. Pat's Day doesn't it!? 

Let me know if you try this!

Until next week, be safe!
Victoria

You can always follow me on Pintrest -
https://www.pinterest.com/vicdenniso/

I'm also on Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dragonflies-and-Thistles/491393717621010



8 comments:

  1. Now I know what to do with all my pennies. What a cute idea...I love it!!
    xo
    Julie @ Love My Simple Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so super cute Victoria!! I love how it looks on your mantel! So glad you shared it on Best of the Nest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was easy to make and turned out great!

      Delete
  3. This is so cute and such a great idea! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Talented Tuesdays; I'm featuring you this week! I hope you can join us again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. I know what I will be doing this weekend!!! LOVE this craft for St. Patrick's Day, love love love!! Also I enjoyed reading about your traditions, and how interesting that you wear blue for St. Patrick! Makes sense! My parents are both from Ireland and I spent many summers there with our family when I was growing up. St. Patrick's Day is so special for all those who emigrated. I love to decorate and make it special and meaningful for my family, and I'm always looking for non-tacky decor. This is such a great idea for something to pull out every year for the mantle. Thanks so much for sharing at Best of the Nest!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa so nice to meet another Irish/American girl! Unfortunately I've never been but hope to go next year and visit where my Grandmother was born... I'll feel like John Wayne in The Quiet Man!!! I would love to see your craft please share back and let me know how it turns out!

      Delete