Friday, October 11, 2013

Haloween decorating

TGIF all my ghost, goblin and witchy friends!

So yes, I listen to Christmas music and decorate for Halloween but hey in my defense there isn't really any good foot tapping Halloween music other than The Monster Mash and I can only listen to that so many times!

So Halloween decorating for me is pretty close to Christmas decorating. I've got a bunch of stuff that I unwrap each year and get so excited and do the, "Oh I forgot I had that!"

I've got a village and about 30 jack-o-lanterns made out of ceramic and cloth. My Mom sent me a pumpkin head scarecrow that we had as a Halloween decoration when I was young. It sits on my entry table.


He lights up and everything!  He is my favorite.
I am trying to decide what to do with my fireplace mantel right now.  It is big and long and very rustic, the mantel itself is a telephone pole squared off or a really big piece of wood stained dark.  It isn't level either so when I burn candles on it they burn funny and I must keep turning them every hour or so.
I just have so much Halloween stuff, and I mean stuff.  As I get older I am trying to de-clutter and get more streamline but with certain holidays it's just not happening!
I do love Halloween, it's my birthday the next day and growing up I had Halloween birthday parties every year.  I'm not a big fan of dressing up though but I occasionally do that for work as well.  It can be fun!
So right now this is my mantel...
I have never liked the mantel, if you look closely you will see it isn't level and it sags.  I love the fireplace just not how big and dark it is. One day I want to either replace or paint the fire box front.  Right now it is brass/gold and matches nothing in the house.  I don't mind a bit of brass or gold but I'd prefer not.  The framed sayings I printed on-line.  If you go to Google and type in Halloween free printable or Halloween free images you will get a lot of returns.  Google Images has pages and pages that you can just print to a colored printer.  I need to update them, they are blah, just blah.  I first need to straighten them!  WOW they are crooked in the frames.  I may add some stickers to them to brighten them up.  Something I've already got in my scrapbook pile will have to do!  I'll show you when I'm done. 
The head in the glass jar is from the dollar store and the glass jar I got at Home Goods for $14.99!  Wait till you see what I do with it for Christmas!  The skeleton I got at Wal-mart for $9.99 - speaking of skeletons, why are these dang things so expensive!?  The larger ones are like 40 bucks!  I don't have that kind of cash to spend on a skeleton that is out once a year.  
The Pumpkin skeleton holding a pumpkin I got at Gordman's along with the fat little pumpkin head thing.  They are metal.  I just love them and they are my splurge items this year at $30.00 each!  The heads and what they are holding are for tea lights and I think they will look pretty cool lit up at night.  Now I don't use real tea lights any longer, I use the faux ones.  Much safer.  
I don't know if this is how my mantel will stay I like it so far but it needs something... I just don't know what yet.  It isn't like I don't have a lot to pick from still...
Yes, this is all Halloween!  Well except for my work briefcase there.... I also have some items on my buffet that you can just see.  I've got two trees, a witch I made, two black cats, a bust and 3 large light up pumpkins PLUS and entire spooky village!  The there is the outdoor things.  You can see the box for the tree, it is thin and green.  I've got lights, a flag and lots of tombstones.  I don't put the tombstones out till Halloween day along with the smoke machine and the crazy scary best ever decoration of a clown because of the wind here in Colorado.  Like today, it is crazy windy in October and those tombstones would probably blow away.  OH and I've got bats, I got the template from Martha Stewart and I bend them so they look like they are flying.  I put them in my entry on the wall.  They have glow in the dark eyes that I painted on.  I've also got some plastic bag ghosts that I hang from the front yard tree and the door to decorate!  I'm thinking Frankenstein this year.  Last year I did a mummy, I wrapped the door in crepe paper but each night the paper would sag and I just wanted to rip it all down so this year I'm thinking Frankenstein made out of paper plates, construction paper and a trash bag.  I'll show you everything step by step in the upcoming weeks!  
Do you decorate for Halloween?  Peruse the Internet and get ideas and inspiration!  Or maybe just head to Pintrest!  Happy decorating everyone and have a great weekend!  

No comments:

Post a Comment