Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Pintrest Challenge, Bacon wrapped Tater Tot's!

I have challenged myself to do at least one thing a week off one of my Pintrest boards.  If you are like me, you've been 'pinning' away but not acting on any of those pins.  Well starting now I'm going to do something about it! 

Last Friday was my Father-in-Law's 65th birthday.  I was tasked with providing appetizers.  I thought, "this is a great time to start my Pintrest challenge and find something off my food board to bring!" 

I was excited to bring appetizers, I LOVE appetizers.  Heck I could make an entire meal from appetizers!  Plus it is a really cool word, APPETIZER! 

Anywho, I searched the food section of my Pintrest board and found a recipe for bacon wrapped tater tots.  Yep.  What could be better than bacon and potato!

Here is a link to the original recipe, yes as a bonus, the Pintrest link worked! 
Here is the 'Pin'
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/193865958934814925/
And here is the link to the site I got the recipe from..
http://www.madefrompinterest.net/2013/09/bacon-wrapped-tator-tots-bombs-appetizer/

Let me tell you... GOODNESS these are good.

OK bad news first.  This takes a bit of time to put together and it is messy.

Pintrest fail - The original recipe calls for shredded cheese, then you dig a hole in the tot and push the shredded cheese in then cover it back up.  BIG FAIL.  I have very small hands and I couldn't do this.  Plus realistically who has time for all of that?  If you can figure it out then good for you!  Instead I got a block of sharp cheddar (you could use whatever kind of cheese you like or skip the cheese all together) and cut it up into little tiny pieces, pulled the tots in half, stuffed a piece of cheese in there and pushed them back together.

You will need.
1 bag of Tater Tots.  I bought the extra crispy but you can buy whatever kind you like
1 package of bacon
Cheese.  Again, the recipe calls for shredded, I gave up and got a block and cut them into little pieces
1cup of brown sugar
Dipping sauces - this is optional.  I used Beer cheese, salsa - 2 different kinds, and BBQ sauce. 

Now assemble your items.
Preheat your oven to 400
Spray a cookie sheet - REALLY WELL! 
De-thaw 1/2 your bag of Tater Tot's
Cut your bacon in half.  I just used a knife, opened the package and cut the bacon in half. 

This is my cheese, I cut them in half again.

Now break your Tot in half

Stuff a small piece of cheese inside and put it back together.
Now roll it in a piece of bacon and place it seam side down on your cookie sheet.
I did as many as I had bacon for, it was quite a few, it filled my cookie sheet.  After this you want to spread your cup of brown sugar out on a plate. 
Next you are going to take each bacon wrapped tot and roll it in the brown sugar.  Replace them on the cookie sheet, seam side down.

When you have rolled all the tots in the brown sugar, place the cookie sheet on the top rack of the oven at 400 for 20-30 minutes or until the bacon is crisp. 

They are good on their own but really good in dipping sauce.  I used a jar Beer Cheese, two kinds of salsa and barbeque sauce. 
Needless to say they were the hit of the party!
I hope you try them! 

Next week I'll be talking fall. I've been pinning to my fall board like crazy and I've got several ideas for fall decorating.  I can't wait to share that and whatever I pick to complete off one of my Pintrest boards! 
Have a great week.  As always thanks so much for stopping by.  I hope you try the bacon wrapped tots.  Till next week, be safe!
Victoria

As always you can follow me on Pintrest -
http://www.pinterest.com/vicdenniso/

I'm also on Facebook, though not at active as I am on Pintrest.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dragonflies-and-Thistles/491393717621010

You can also follow me here, directly on the blog at..
http://www.dragonfliesandthistles.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment